Thursday, April 24, 2008

If Only For One Night...

My friend just informed me of the rice rationing that a couple of our large retailers here in the U.S. have implemented. I thought he was mistaken when he first told me but it appears to be true. Now of course this could all be some sort of government propaganda. (Yeah, I can be a conspiracy theorist.) But the very thought of it makes me think of the U.S.S.R. circa nineteen eighty something.

Times are hard.


And in many parts of the country it is also prom season. There are a lot of us who are scraping to provide decent food and shelter for our families. 80,000 people lost their jobs last month. You think any of those people had kids in high school? I’m thinking yes. Buying a new gown and all the frills to wear once? That is a luxury far too many folks just don’t have. I actually remember my senior prom like it was last week. It was a happy, exciting time that I will hold dear to my heart forever. Did my attending the prom have any bearing on my SAT scores, college entrance essays or world peace? Nah. But it was an opportunity for an inner city student to attend a formal event with her peers to celebrate graduation. My high school didn't have homecoming dances, junior proms and the like so our senior prom was a really big deal. A few years ago I donated some old bridesmaid dresses to an organization that gives them to teenage girls who can’t afford to buy a dress on their own. Well, I was happy to rediscover this org recently through Daily Candy. I have a burgundy David’s Bridal situation (shoes and all) to donate this year. I know I’m never gonna wear them again so why not? More importantly, it just might change someone’s life -- even if it's only for one night.

If you’re interested, visit Donatemydress.org.

No comments: