Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Globe Glamour (less)

Happy Monday. It is 2009 and time to step things up. Is this New Year’s Resolution residue resurfacing? Nah. Last week I received this email from a colleague:

So I'm reading your blog...admittedly I haven't read it in a minute due to your non-daily updates! ;) (Don't be offended, but if I really love a blog that doesn't update daily, I get frustrated and tend to not visit every day. Don't hate me, but it's the truth!)

Ouch. I had no choice but to respond to Paula with a "You’re right. I’ll post more often" response. No need for shoulda, coulda, wouldas.

So because of Paula’s kick in the tush, I will be posting three times a week as of today. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, I will make it my business to update PPT. Period. Now, most of the posts probably won’t be as long as they have been but shucks, I think that might actually be a good thing. And hey, I might even post more often if the mood hits me, I can’t get too robotic on here after all, but three times a week is the minimum for my posts going forward.

2009 is gonna be a-okay. I can feel the growth already and we’re only 12 days in. So, on with today’s post.


Jenny from the block lights up the red carpet.

I admittedly didn’t get into the red carpet hoopla for the Golden Globes this year (I was on the phone catching up with the real friends in my life) but I did manage to steal a few glimpses of a couple of gowns that made me do a double take. I was particularly feeling all the one-shoulder numbers that popped up this year. Wasn’t a big fan of Beyonce’s gown as it seemed ill-fitting to me but her make-up was flawless. Lots of folks clowned Jennifer Lopez’s plunging gold metallic gown but I quite liked it. It provided a wow-factor that was generally missing this year. Hey, Jennifer is a Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx with a sick body, she’s gonna bring the fire regardless of what her stylists "suggest" she wear. Gotta love her for that.
Bouncy's hip hugging gown and pretty nude makeup.

Of the looks I did see, both on-air and online, I think I am most impressed by Maggie Gyllenhaal’s leopard print, belted one-shoulder gown by Lanvin. I hope this dress has pockets too, I couldn't tell from the pics I saw. I might be the minority on this as some press are already dogging her choice this year. I happen to love the flouncy one-shoulder detail and have been inspired by it for an upcoming black-tie event I might be attending soon. For my shindig, I would like to see the top of this dress recreated into a blouse, paired with a super wide-leg, high waisted black pant and black patent leather pumps. A long, sleek clutch in red or yellow along with chunky gold vintage jewelry complete the look. Perhaps I can find all those elements in time for my possible event but chances are slim to none as I don’t have much time. (I’ll let you know how that turns out.) Whatever get-up I do end up donning, I hope to pair it with my black motorcylce jacket as I mentioned here. Regardless, Maggie's dress is bound to be an inspiration for something I end up rocking in the near future, I already have three weddings to attend this year and it is only January… Thanks Maggie!

What awards shows are you looking forward to and who do you usually rely on to bring it while on the red carpet?


Lanvin: from runway to red carpet...


P.S. - This is embarassingly late so I apologize but R.I.P to Oscar Grant. Maybe subconsciously I was hoping it was a bad dream. UPDATE: R.I.P. to Adolph Grimes III as well. *SMH* This ish here MUST stop!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! Now that you've set a schedule for your postings, I'll definitely be tuning in on the regular!

Bsquared said...

Womp, womp. I've already slipped a little. :-( Work is kicking my tush. No excuses though, I've put it into the universe and I'm really gonna try my best to make it happen.

Unknown said...

It is nice post and I found some interesting information on this blog, keep it up. Thanks for sharing. . .
local shifting services.