Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Know What Men Like (Garter Belts and Bright Red Lipstick ? Nope. Sweatpants? Absolutely!) - Part 1 of 2


I hoped that title would get your attention. Truth is, I interviewed one man, Anslem (at length) to get his opinion on what women wear - from our hair to our shoes. I got this post idea while having dinner with Mr. TK one night and him calling me out (he’s good for that) about looking another woman up and down. I know, I know: shame on me. But, it got me to thinking that women often check out what other women are wearing much more than men notice what we’re wearing. And just in case you still think that your crush will notice your Nine West pumps are actually Christian Louboutin knock-offs, I interviewed my friend Anslem to prove you wrong. (Oh and if your crush does notice the difference well, you might need to re-evaluate some things…)

I interviewed Anslem because I think he’s honest, has his ish together and is representative of many guys I (and you) know. But again, he’s one man. I cannot confirm that his opinions reflect those of your man or even the man you want to be your man. But, if you continue reading ladies (and gents since I do have some male readers - what up Barney!), I guarantee you’ll learn a few things. I surely did. And by the way, Anslem holds down a blog himself called Naked With Socks On where he skillfully writes about everything from politics to relationships. Good stuff.

So, I started the interview off by asking Anslem what female celebs always make him do a double-take in the style department. Here’s what he said:

Kerry Washington: She glows. And she has a very warm smile and a cute overbite but it works for her. Her teeth are sparkling white.

Jill Scott: She seems real through her voice and her words. She carries herself very well for a full-figured woman.

Jada Pinkett Smith: She’s getting older but she is even more attractive. When I think of her, I think of strength and confidence.

Ciara: Surprised? Me too. Seems Anslem is mucho impressed by Ciara’s maturity and grace. He claims that she is very level-headed for her age. He also said he likes the way her style has evolved from tomboyish teenager to classy young woman.

And although he didn’t mention her during our interview, apparently Res makes him do a triple-take…

Next, I had him tell me his preferences on a few things that almost always seem to come up in grown folks convos…

natural hair vs. relaxed hair - Natural hair is his weakness -- locks, twists, afros, he loves them all. He also appreciates a woman with a short cut. There is a certain confidence that she evokes he says.

lingerie vs. a wife beater and boy shorts - Both have pluses according to Anslem but those over-the-top va, va voom corset, garter belt situations make him think of hookers. Which he goes on to admit might not be a bad thing depending on his mood, but generally isn't his preference.

heels vs. flats - He's not opposed to flats but thinks woman strut differently when they're wearing heels. There is even something sexy about the 'clicking' noise they make.

make-up vs. well, no make-up - I wanna know what you look like says Ans. He no likey the foundation and powder plus he thinks it makes a woman seem like she's trying to cover up something.

I also found out his biggest turn-ons and turn-offs:

turn-offs- [tight jeans/pants that create] muffin-tops
- panty waste (You gotta read his hilarious post about this.)
- ashy feet/heels in sandals

turn-ons- sweatpants (without words or logos on the butt area) - Anslem says, "If you can attract me when you’re wearing sweats, then when you’re really dressed…"
- high heels - They add to her walk, they raise her bottom, draw attention to her calves. Who knew that heels alter the way our butts look????
- long, flowy skirts (The way it moves around the body is what gets him.)

So it looks like men (or at least men who think like Anslem) certainly do notice what we wear and how we wear it but couldn’t care any less about labels or even trends. The fact that you managed to score the same clutch that Rihanna carried during Milan’s Fashion Week certainly might impress your girls. But that cutie pie you’ve been eyeing in the gym? Not so much. And please know that I’m in NO WAY encouraging anyone to dress (solely) for a man’s attention. How lame would that be? Mr. TK loathes my animal print rain boots but that surely hasn’t stopped me from wearing them. But, I do hope that everyone keeps this post in mind when agonizing over what to wear on that date with the cutie pie from the gym. I’m not suggesting you wear sweats (although that just might be what got you the date), but don’t fret because you don’t have a new DVF wrap dress to rock either.

Ladies (and gents), what do you think? Did you learn anything? Are Anslem’s views similar to yours or those of your significant other? Discuss, please. And Anslem, muchas gracias for your patience and letting me pick your brain!

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for part 2!

6 comments:

MsBRG722 said...

In terms of sweat pants, Anslem represents what most men I know tell me. (Oh and everyone loves Kerri...)

Anonymous said...

Good post! I didn't know men were into the long flowy skirts though. Can't wait for part 2 tomorrow.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

I stopped wearing sweats, outside of working out, when I moved to Rome.

I wore them all the time in L.A. (really) and here I rarely see them on the locals.

Kerri has a great sense of style. She takes risks sometimes and seems to have fun with fashion.

jendayi said...

I was going to relay the same comment as msbrg722. Every single man I know loves a woman in sweatpants.

Nice post.

FASHION BLOG said...

Louis vuitton spring 2011 is woven bags, louis vuitton factory outlet handbags, often covered with bright-coloured color with this terrific lady LV bags examined.a wonderful design style is not like last season, but as neutral handsome additional numerous female glamour. Stylist utilizes many cozy color to gentle series, additional texture superb metallic chain and crystal for example element to decorate package deal money. In candy colours to meet must acquire dressed in light is in fact a terrific choice. This one season, often infinite originality of Louis vuitton LV vice collection design handbag sequence will hold on often vivid start coloring. vivid chun xia back again this type of the clean bags is once again proper do not pass. Sleek, compose entire bead product of tiny handbag, abound countryside air and Bohemian amorous feelings huge vanity, allow the spring from the paragraph LV pack pack very appropriate toward country really feel spring breath. tiny shoulder bag is this a sequence of tom.com. LV bags often embodied in detail place in pricey temperament. This period of your time with specific design and manufacture craft and leather-based handles technique of specific product enlivens the wicker printing leather, weaving leaf dietary fiber and straw product just like exterior effect. really gentle soft texture sheep leather, pricey an ostrich and alligator also to other specific product will make bags much more show soft. From ferragamo archives "LV" buckle delicately adorn hawk-bills to the urban design could possibly be the brand new bags sequence provides resourceful inspiration. 2011 chun xia's tiny handbag Louis vuitton handbags and method goes on with unique element contrast product huge play. Mass-tone product choose dim tonal or dumb cope with colored, adornment is colorful, producing utilization of Swarovski crystal material, metallic net etc. This sequence of classical Greece have tiny handbag hung shoulder pattern with design illuminative, Louis Vuitton Handbags altered the producer LV.

Unknown said...

Great post and amazing information. Thanks a lot for sharing with us. . .
relocation services coimbatore.