Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Soul Is A Witness




Listen here. Before I attempted to get into the style and fashion ish I had to write a lil’ something on the man they call Barack Obama, his wife Michelle (gangsta I tell you, that woman is just gangsta) and their two adorable daughters Malia and Sasha. There are a number of stories out there in the blogosphere that offer profound and critical posts on what Obamas running, especially now, means for the presidential election and politics on a whole.

Did the republicans plot this from the get to nail the election? Are we being set up for the okey doke? Do we really want Barack to inherit the mess that Bush is going to leave behind?

Ya not gonna get that here.




I am just happy doggonit. Because I know, rather WE know that Barack can actually win this thing. And that feels dang good. I used to collect buttons as a child and I pulled this one out to reflect on Jesse running back in 1988. No offense to Mr. Jackson but it felt nothing like this. Sure I was merely a youngin’ and couldn’t vote back then plus Jess didn’t get this far but knowing that I’m witnessing history right now is quite special. As I have blogged about before, one of the reasons I was so excited that Barack was running in the first place is because it reminds me of how far I have come (Bloody Sunday, I still have a lot of fam in Selma, AL) and how far I have to go (Sean Bell, I live about 10 minutes away from where he was murdered).

Every time I think about all the "inner city" teenage mothers who have been given up on being inspired by Michelle (born and raised on Chicago’s South Side) my heart smiles. When I realize that my nieces and godchildren might be able to see Malia and Sasha playing in the White House, my eyes well up.

I don’t follow politics nearly as much as I should but my soul knows what feels good.

Oh yeah and I’m rocking my Obama t-shirt to work tomorrow! (And I NEVER plan outfits the night before.)


UPDATE: FOR THE LIFE OF ME I COULDN'T FIND MY SHIRT THIS MORNING! BUT AS SOON AS IT IS LOCATED, I'LL BE ROCKIN' IT PROUDLY.

So my girl E just emailed me a link to her blog Six Figure Sisters where she too posted on Barack and Michelle. Her post titled Looking For The Big O is a must read. Check it out here.

No comments: