Thursday, June 5, 2008

Superhero Stylin'


Through fashion we are free to fantasize, to escape the ordinary.

-Superheros: Fashion and Fantasy Exhibit, Metropolitan Museum of Art

Tuesday after work I made good on a promise to myself to take better advantage of New York City this summer. For the record, I do this every year around the end of May. And every year around the end of September I’m kicking myself for not making it to all the places and events on my (very long) wish list. Well I’m proud to type that I’m starting the Summer of 2008 off right. For the first time (but certainly not the last) I attended the Museum Mile Festival. It's like a huge block party on 5th Avenue for the art loving set. Lots of Upper East and West Side families and their nannies mingled with NYC boho transplants for the event. (Most native New Yorkers don’t regularly go to these types of shindigs…)



Since I left work late (shame on me) I didn’t get uptown to Museum Mile as early as I wanted forcing me to only make it inside the MET. But it gave me the opportunity to view the newly launched Superheros exhibit. (Remember I didn’t make it to the gala kick-off a couple weeks back, lol.) So cool. I’ve never thought about the similarities between fashion, especially high-end fashion and Superhero costumes. They both offer a bit of fantasy. And think about it – how mean was Catwoman’s black bodysuit and Wonder Woman’s knee-high boots? Some of the designers included in the exhibit are John Galliano, Julian Macdonald, Alexander McQueen, Rick Owens and Nicolas Ghesquiere. I have to go back because there were too many baby strollers in the mix for me to fully take in the exhibit the way I wanted. Unlike the BLOG exhibition, visitors were unable to take pics so I grabbed one from the web to give you a quick taste of what I saw.



Since I haven’t blogged in a minute I didn’t get to dish on the recent passing of Yves Saint Laurent. However, many of my fellow bloggers did. Reading Monday and Tuesday’s WWD educated me on how influential of a designer he was -- even more than I realized. And he opened doors for many models of color in his day including Naomi Campbell and Pat Cleveland who both speak very highly of the groundbreaker. Check out The Fashion Bomb’s coverage of YSL here.

No comments: