Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What about us?

There are a heap of topics I would like to blog on but they are simply going to have to wait. For one, they’re just not ready. They require a little more research or fleshing out and I’ve had a lot on my plate as of late. But before I went to bed, I had to write about something that has been on my mind for the last week or so. That something is actually a her named Nailah Franklin.



Now, you’re probably thinking: Isn’t this blog supposed to be about style? Yeah, it is. But I need to get this out. And I am unapologetic about it. See, I didn’t know Nailah, the 28 year-old pharmaceutical sales representative who was reported missing on September 18th. But like most of my girlfriends and I, she was quite career driven. She was financially savvy as well, having purchased two condos before she even reached the age of 30. I purchased my first piece of property last year and like all my girls who did so before me, I felt it was a significant accomplishment. Nailah was reported as being a loving auntie, always doting on her niece. Well, I spoil my nieces every chance I get. They are on a very short list of people in this world who love me unconditionally. For that alone I will do whatever is in my power for them. Like Nailah, I, like most women I know - have at least once dated a man who at some point made me feel uncomfortable. Whether it was borderline stalking or just taking the jealously thing a tad bit too far. Oh, and last but not least, Nailah Franklin is Black - just like me and most of my girlfriends.

See a pattern here? Nailah Franklin was missing for over a week until she was found dead last Thursday. Thrown away like a piece of trash. But unlike Lacy Peterson or that chick in Aruba - most of the world has already forgotten about her. Shucks, most folks outside of Chicago didn’t even know she was missing. And dammit, that ish hurts. It’s a painful reminder that if God forbid a similar incident occurred with myself or my friends, we’d go unnoticed too. Yeah, that really, really hurts.

In the words of Sojourner, 'Ain't I a woman?'

R.I.P. Nailah.

No comments: