Sunday, August 19, 2007

Me and My Boyfriend






I’m always dressing my pretend boyfriend in my head. Although I’m presently single, in my mind I constantly put the stylish men’s things I come across in save for my imaginary beau. I often say to myself, that would look so good on tk - journalism speak for ‘to come’. I know that seems nuts but I’m sure I’m not alone in this. Go figure. Anywho, when discovering the designs of Omar, the creative mastermind behind a men’s clothing line of the same name, I definitely had one of those moments. I envisioned explaining to TK the wonderful world of bespoke tailoring, putting him on to the likes of Ozwald Boateng before introducing him to the next installation of this artform stateside - courtesy of Omar. See, Omar is for the dude who isn’t quite comfortable with the snug trousers that Boateng creates and might be a tad bit thrown off by his bright, unconventional color combinations. Yet, he recognizes his talent and is beginning to outgrow the notion that a button-up + hard bottom shoes = formal. He understands that expert tailoring is truly a gift and that classic, timeless clothing is an investment.



Omar’s price points are, well… Omar’s stuff is probably expensive to the average working-class guy. But it is a high-end luxury line so the prices are relative. (Suits start at $1,200.) Omar carries everything from outerwear, denim, suits, separates; even ties and pocket squares. And the details on an Omar garment are bananas. The contrast linings (think Paul Smith - dang, I really do have a thing for Brit designers), exquisite fabric selections and unique top-stitching. Omar provides the type of quality clothing that will last a lifetime so there is no question that these threads are worth the dough. Now those trendy, multi-colored hoodies with random logo prints that retail for a few hundred dollars? Not so much. Omar’s clothes are certainly memorable as I first learned of this line well over a year ago (yeah, I’ve been single for a minute) and I’m still saving this find for Mr. TK. Guess some things truly are worth the wait.

Look for Omar at the N Boutique in Harlem http://www.nharlemnewyork.com/ (a true find in itself) or hit up his website directly at http://omarxomar.com/.

(Blogger is still giving me a fit with these links! I think I should get my 10 year-old goddaughter to help me... Please bear with me in the meantime folks.)

No comments: